Price
Timing
Competitor
Authority
Chaos
100

That's more expensive than I expected.

I understand. We do offer a lot of value for the price.

100

This just isn't a priority for us right now.

No problem, I can reach back out later.

100

We already use another solution for this. 

Our solution has a lot of features that your current provider may not have.

100

I'm not the person who makes that decision.

Can you give me the name of the person who does?

100

Just email me some information.

Sure. What's the best email address?

200

We don't have budget for something like this.

Budget can be difficult. Would it be helpful if we looked at some lower-cost options?

200

Call me back next quarter.

Absolutely. Is there a specific month that works best?

200

We're pretty happy with our current vendor.

That's great, we work with a lot of companies that were happy with their previous vendor as well. 

200

I'd have to talk to my manager about this.

Sure, could you talk to them and get back to me?

200

Can you tell me or email me some pricing.

Absolutely, I can send over some pricing information. (Let's not.. -Taso)

300

Your competitor is coming in significantly less than you. 

That makes sense. Besides price, what are the biggest factors you're using to compare the two solutions?

300

We're interested, but we have too many other projects we are trying to close up for end of year.

Understood. What projects are currently taking priority over this?

300

We've worked with your competitor for years. I don't see a reason to change.

What do you like most about working with them and is there anything you wish they did/had differently?

300

Corporate makes those decisions. We don't really have control over that here.

How does that process typically work between your team and corporate when something like this is evaluated?

300

I've got another meeting in two meetings, are you trying to sell me something?

Totally understand. Rather than give you a full pitch, can I ask one quick question to see if this is even relevant to you?

400

I understand the value, but there's no way I can justify that price internally.

When you say it'd be difficult to justify internally, what would leadership need to see in order for the investment to make sense?

400

We probably need this, but implementing something new right now would create more problems and there's no business case for this year. Maybe next year.

That's fair. Is the concern mainly implementation workload, disruption to the team, or something else?
400

We evaluated you and your competitor before and they were the better fit, switching now would create risk.

Do you remember what specifically drove that decision? I'd rather understand what mattered to your team than assume anything has changed.

400

Even if I liked this, you'd need buy-in from engineering, IT, procurement, and my VP. 

It sounds like several groups influence the decision making. Who normally gets involved first, and what does each group care about most?

400

I don't think we have a problem. You called me. Convince me why I should even continue this conversation.

For sure, and I don't know yet whether you have a problem we can help with. Reason I called is that we often speak with companies dealing with (challenge). If you're not seeing that happening, there may not be a reason to continue.

500

We’re already standardized on another solution.

Got it, what drove the decision to standardize on them in the first place?

M
e
n
u